Saturday, September 27, 2008

Colorado Adventure Day 4

Day four of our trip was the first full day of hunting for Kevin and I. We got up around 5 am and got out to the field before daylight. I headed down to my spot on the ATV again, but I now had to cross the creek in the dark! This was a little nerve racking, but I managed to make my way across and into my stand.

Slater Creek


I was sitting there in the stand as the sun came up and I could see it shining off the mountain in front of me. Straight in front of me was a mountain about 300 yards away. It was amazing to see this land formation just shoot up out of the valley. I could see the whole mountain side which held the deer. I still couldn’t believe that I was sitting in a tree stand in Colorado in the mountains watching the sunrise! I began to glass the mountain side to look for deer. It wasn’t long until I began to see movement. They made their way down the mountain and headed towards my stand. It was a doe and tow little ones. They came to within 30 yards of me, but there was no way I was going to shoot a doe with little ones with her, but it was fun to watch them pass through. I also saw two other does come down from the mountain, but they didn’t come into the stand.
I headed back into camp to see what Kevin saw, which was nothing. So we made some lunch and got some rest. It takes a while to get used to the thin air in the mountains and I was beginning to get a headache. After a little rest we headed outside to put the Roscobie Riser Cams that we had on loan.




Kevin's Bow With The Roscobie Riser Cam



We had to re-tune our bows with the cameras on them, so we started out at 20 yards then to 30 and then to 40. One thing led to another and we decided to shoot some 50 yard shoots, why I don’t know I guess we were feeling brave. I hit about 5 inches low with my first shot. Kevin’s shot was only a couple inches off. My second shot clipped the top of the target and launched down range, Kevin later found it 80 yards behind the target. His second shot hit dead center bulls eye. My third shot was a couple of inches high, not too bad. I don’t think I will be shooting at a deer at that distance.
Well it was time for the evening hunt, so we headed out. I made it into the stand around 4:30pm and man was it hot. Way too hot to be hunting, but it would soon cool down and get right. It was like clock work again at 6:15pm the buck came in again. He give me a perfect broadside shot at 30 yards. I tried to keep cool and I made my draw on him. I put the pin right where it should be and let it fly! I watched the arrow fly towards him and slide right under his belly! I couldn’t believe my eyes. I knew that it was a 30 yard shot because I used my range finder to check it the day before. He made a small jump and walked behind a tree, so I grabbed another arrow and waited. He walked back out and just as he began to clear the tree I drew back again, but he stopped. After about a minute, I couldn’t hold it any longer so I drew down. He was still calm and didn’t seemed bothered at all. He began to take a step so I drew again. I estimated the shot to be 40 yards and I knew exactly where to place the shot, and I let it fly! I watched the arrow sail under him again and hit the ground behind him. This time he bounded off. I got out the range finder to check my distance and it was 52 yards! I guess I under estimated that one! I went down and found my arrows, then climbed back up to try and figure out what I did wrong. I watched some other deer pass through the area and head up the mountain for the evening.


Nighttime Photo, Notice The Stars!


Night fell and it grew cold, so I headed back into camp and had to explain what happened. That is worse than missing sometimes, everyone gives you the business for missing. Kevin again saw nothing from his spot.
Kevin made supper that evening, and then it was lights out for day four.

No comments: