Thursday, May 22, 2008

Michigan Turkey Hunt Days 1 and 2

Finally my turkey season started in Michigan. We have been anxiously awaiting the arrival since we got back from Ohio. Mikey and I started out by heading down to our deer hunting area and met our buddy Kevin and his youngest daughter at the parking area. When we arrived we got our gear together and hit the woods. We set up in the same spot that Kevin had seen a bird come off roost earlier in the week. I sat down with Michael and Kevin set with his daughter about 40 yards away from us. As the morning light began to break through the thick clouds we began to call, and call, and call. No luck, we didn't hear a peep out of anything. The wind started to pick up somewhat and a little drizzle started to fall. We didn't even see a tweety bird flutter by. The woods were dead this morning. After about an hour and a half we packed it in and headed out of the woods.
We decided we needed to drive and call, so we began to hit all the woodlots and fields nearby. We would stop and give a hardy call to the Toms with no avail. With that not working, we decided to head to another game area and see what we could find. We found a field that was state land but was allowed by local farmers to plant crops on. We made our way from the parking area to the field and got busted by a hen. She flew out of the field and we saw another bird in a nearby private field. Not only that, but we saw all kinds of sign in the field where turkeys had been. This was the spot to sit the next morning we decided.
That next morning we set up in that same field. Kevin and his older daughter set up at one end, then Mike and I set up at the other end. Just about the time we got to the spot where we wanted to be, we heard Gobble Gobble Gobble!!!! We looked at each other and we knew that we had to hurry and get set up. The birds sounded like they were down by Kevin, and we began to call. We kept hearing the Toms call back and forth but never saw them. I just knew that Kevin and his daughter saw them. After about 2 1/2 hours of sitting we packed it in and headed to the truck. When Kevin and his daughter got there he said he could see three Jakes about 20 yards away, but decided not to shoot them. We are going to head back there again this weekend and hopefully get back on those Toms. This time we are going to take Mackenzie with us.

No comments: